Monday, August 1, 2011

Canada Cup DH & BC Cup DH Mountain Biking

Yesterday was another day of exciting downhill mountain bike racing with the 2011 Canada Cup DH and BC Cup DH at Panorama Resort! This week's races were held over sections of Insanity and Quadzilla runs, in the Panorama Bike Park.

It was a very hot day and the scattered clouds that gave us occasional respite from the blazing sun didn't bring much in the way to relief later in the day, when most of us were hoping for a cooling and air-clearing thunderstorm!

From a photographer's point of view, it was a real challenge. I had decided that this time I'd find a spot to shoot the riders in bright sunshine, instead of battling with deep shadow and dappled light in the forest, which is where most "features" on the course are. I found a vantage point that let me capture a bit of the action for most of the day - but shortly before the end of the event the sun went behind the trees, so I had to move to another spot where the sun was still shining.

Shortly after starting the shoot, my camera suddenly started flashing "busy" at me. Nothing I did would stop it! Panic stations! I had my manual with me (yes!), but there was nothing in it that helped! I ended up taking a chance and switching the camera off, taking the battery out, then restarting a couple of minutes later. That sorted it out and I didn't have any other problems during the day. (It turns out, I probably bumped the video button, which caused the overload situation. Lesson learned). Unfortunately, I missed shooting a few riders while I was getting this problem fixed ... please accept my apologies if you're one of those I missed!

Anyway, it's now Monday afternoon and I'm about 1/3 of the way through sorting the photo's from the bike races. I've started uploading so that you can take a look ... and keep coming back because it's going to take a couple more days to get all the photo's up!

Meanwhile, here's an appetizer:

4 comments:

  1. Nice shot Tanya! Great stop action. Will you submit to a newspaper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen! No plans to submit at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shot Tanya as alwais!
    I like the colours very very nice
    have a nice day
    ciao
    Matteo

    ReplyDelete