Monday, January 23, 2017

The Joys of Job Hunting

(Edit: Getting some great suggestions and comments on my FB post about this! Thanks!)

I got knocked a little sideways this morning ... so I'm cheering myself up with a collection of pretty flower images from last summer!


As you know, since early December I've been looking for an office job. I have applied to several places so far.


99% of businesses don't bother to acknowledge receipt of your resume. It would be so nice to receive a "thanks for your application, we'll let you know if you make the cut" message. Ok I lie, ONE company emailed me back, out of ALL the applications submitted.


This morning, I was excited to receive a call from a company I applied to last week.

After chatting for some time, establishing that my experience would be a good fit for the position, the woman said something along the lines of "we're looking for longevity, we've had a few changes recently, and want someone who'll stick to the job for a while". What would you say to that?

What I said was that I couldn't guarantee anything. I explained that if I secured a job where I earned enough to purchase a house, I would be committed and therefore a good chance that I'd have the requisite stick-to-it-iveness. I also explained that, because we're currently renting, there's no guarantee that our landlord won't sell the place out from under us, which would mean that there's a good chance that we'd be forced to leave town because affordable longterm rental properties are very difficult to find.

That ended the conversation with me effectively struck off the list of people who even qualify for an interview, although she does "appreciate my honesty"!


This new thing called "alternative truth" doesn't fly with me, so I just have to hope that I don't get asked that question again!

Until next time!
Tanya

PS: My testimonial drive is still under way - about a week left to get your Free Print!

No comments:

Post a Comment