Thursday, June 16, 2011

Macro Photography

Back to photography!

Yesterday, courtesy of a local pro photog, Martina Halik of Raven Eye Photography, I had the opportunity to use a "real" macro lens.

Macro is the art of extreme close-up photography. You can get pretty close with a shorter wide-angle, but with a lens specifically designed for macro you enter a whole new world!

Here's a close-up shot I took with the medium lens I had with me, 24-70mm f/2.8L ...


Here are a couple of shots taken with Martina's macro lens (disclaimer: The photo's aren't perfect because it's not easy to use - there's no auto-focus to help - you just have to get in good and close then move yourself back and forth, fractionally, until you have your subject in focus or, at least, as close as you can get - and try not to shake with excitement at this new toy while you take the shot! I'm ashamed to say I don't know the exact lens model) ...



Needless to say, my wish list just got longer (and substantially more valuable).

1 comment: