Thursday, September 8, 2016

Introducing: Lutzen


I admit it. He's my favourite in the barn.


At 23 years of age, Lutzen is well into retirement, so I don't get to handle him as much, or as often, as I'd like. He's grumpy, too, playing keep-away in his stable if you try to groom him without putting his head collar on first ... and half-heartedly promising a nip if you tickle him while grooming and aren't paying attention.


I reckon Luzten stands at least 18 hands high. In other words, he's pretty tall, coming in at a lofty 6ft or more, measured from the top of his shoulder to the ground.


More than once, my fellow barn workers have had a good chuckle, watching me take Lutzen out to his paddock, or being marched back into the barn by him. Picture this short (5'4" on a good day), round human having to almost run beside him, just to keep up with his walk!   :D


I wish I'd known him years ago, when he was still in work. Even now, I can see that he's a dream mover, floating over the ground. He doesn't do much above a walk during his liberty hours each day, but watching him enjoying his "kick and fart" lap of his paddock when he's released first thing in the morning is always a treat!

Keep your weight in your heels!
Tanya



No comments:

Post a Comment