Saturday, November 3, 2012

On to Greenland!

You've heard it said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions? Well, they're right! I'd intended (there's that word!) to post at least once a week until I'd covered my entire Arctic cruise ... and I think its been a month since my last entry!

Calmer oceans now, as we cross the passage to Greenland! And surprisingly green, it is!


View Arctic Cruise 2012 in a larger map

Etah sits at the head of a pretty fjord, about a 30 minute zodiac ride from where the Clipper dropped anchor. It isn't permanently occupied these days, although it used to have year-round residents. Today its used as a base for hunting walrus, muskox, and caribou, more than anything else.

Both the Peary (in the late 1800's) and the Cook expeditions used this spot as a staging point for their assaults on the north pole.

During our cruise from ship to shore, we spotted muskox, but they're very shy - understandably, due to the presence of several hunting camps along the shoreline. We saw snow geese ashore, too, but couldn't get within pixel-range (at least, with my 200mm lens).

I could've walked to the toe of a glacier, about 1.5km from the shore, but was starting to get twitchy at being constantly surrounded by people and most others were doing that, so struck out on my own. Here are some of my favourite photos from the hike:















Animated banner ad

No comments:

Post a Comment